As I started to read chapter 4, I was fairly complacent. The chapter’s subject was on balance, and I considered myself decent at juggling several things. It didn’t take too long for the E. Perry Good to wake me from my misconception, and give me reason to sit down and think about what was being said.
After my first misconception of the chapter I developed a fairly negative view on how this exercise was going to turn out. I expected that I would discover that I am completely out of balance. Luckily my results on the exercise didn’t turn out as bad as I had expected.
I analyzed 5 people and 4 activities. The relationships category was filled by my fiancée, brother, mother, father, and friends. I only have a few close friends, and they all fit best within the same group. My activities were: school work, house work, exercise, and gaming.
The quadrants of my circle turned out as follows:
Love:
Fiancée
Brother
Mother
Father
Friends
Exercise
Gaming
Power:
Fiancée
Mother
Father
Friends
Schoolwork
Housework
Exercise
Fun:
Fiancée
Brother
Mother
Friends
Schoolwork
Exercise
Gaming
Freedom:
Brother-
Mother-
Friends-
Exercise-
The only quadrant that is not on par with the others is Freedom. I didn’t realize that some people, such as my mother, met as many needs as they did. This exercise also helped me to identify ways I might be not meeting other people’s needs. For instance, I need to think of ways to work on my relationship with my fiancée so that we can meet each other’s need for freedom.
In order to continue the freedom I feel from exercise, I will begin to plan it into my schedule.
In order to continue the all around good relationship I have with my mother, I will make sure to talk to her at least once a week.
In order to continue having fun with my fiancée, we will go exploring our new home city twice a week.
Brain storming
17 years ago

4 comments:
I learned early on in this book I too had to put aside my misonceptions and really think about where this book was guiding me.
I thought I was fairly balanced but my freedom bank is not yet complete either. One of my goals on the road to contentment for me is to complete this degree. I realize this will meet my needs for freedom. It will allow my others needs for power, fun and love to give me my sense of contentment.
I'm not sure if I want to head right into my masters, my hubby thinks so but I am not sure. I feel once I get my Bachlors, I will have reached a level of contentment I want to enjoy for a while.
Jen
I too learned very early on in the chapter that I was not going to have the misunderstanding of my own juggling act live on by the chapter's end. It was not as bad as I thought but it was indeed a wake-up call. My own freedom was the area of the greatest aspect in need of improvement. The family, education, and professional areas are all difficult to juggle. Good luck but I am confident however, that you will be OK.
Goodluck achieving all you have set out to acomplish in order to achieve balance in your life. If what you are saying you want to do works, will you be a balanced person? Or will you have to work on other aspects in order to completely fufill this mission? Either way I hope it works out for you!
After doing my “wheel”, then looking at yours, I have to wonder if I didn’t sell mine short. My list, while the themes are similar, are much shorter – 3 – 5 items in each. I don’t see much real differences in the list, not that we should all have the same list, but the theme was similar – family, friends, hobbies.
Just a curious observation more than a comment on your list. Off to look at some of the others to see if my list measures up.
Post a Comment